Friday, April 21, 2023

Horror Reviews - Black Mouth, The Loney, My Heart is a Chainsaw

I'm writing shorter reviews these days and so have I decided to share digests of a few horror novel reviews at a time. These are in reverse order, with the most recent appearing first. 


Black Mouth
by Ronald Malfi (5 stars)

Once again, another riveting story by Mr Malfi. He just keeps getting better and better. I don't say this often (sadly), but this one was on my mind all the time. I just couldn't wait to get back to it. I felt this was partly coming-of-age horror, but the theme reminded me so much of Stephen King's The Outsider (another one I couldn't put down). The solving of a supernatural mystery with very human characters. I don't know how he comes up with these stories. I just hope he keeps doing it for many years to come.


The Loney
by Andrew Michael Hurley (4 stars)

I've always been drawn to folk horror (Thomas Tryon's Harvest Home, I'm looking at you) so the resurgence of the subgenre in recent years has been a boon for me. The Loney fits nicely in the folk horror niche. I really liked the subtlety of it. While reading, we know there is some menacing local tomfoolery going on. And why is everyone suddenly younger, ailments gone, trees bursting with fruit out of season, etc.? I had a picture of The Loney in my mind, and that's a credit to the author who firmly plants the reader in the scenery. Very satisfying read. I will definitely be reading more Hurley.


My Heart is a Chainsaw
by Stephen Graham Jones (5 stars)

Started off with a bang, then was slow for a bit. The main character, Jade, made up for the slowness. What a great character. About midway through, it took off and didn't stop until the end. Let's just say there's a pretty high final body count. This is a must-read for anyone who loves horror.

photo Cat.gif

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting our little corner of the horror universe. Your comments are appreciated.
Please note: Your comment will appear after site owner approval.

  1. Great reviews, Michelle! I'm hoping to finally read a Malfi this year and also read My Heart is a Chainsaw and Don't Fear the Reaper but we'll see. lol

    ReplyDelete
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf