Wednesday, August 28, 2019

#SomethingWickedFall featuring a Doctor Sleep #Read-Along


Last year was the inaugural year of this event, though we were Something Wicked This Fall Comes last year (a nod to Ray Bradbury). The event name is now a bit shorter, but no less fun, and still a certain homage to Mr. Bradbury. We start on September 1st (along with Readers Imbibing Peril (R.I.P. 14) which I look forward to every year. What's better than scary reading? Nothing, I say!

Everything on the agenda is on the button above, but I'm going to share more details below. If you're on Facebook, we have a Seasons of Reading group where we interact during readathons so I'll be sharing info there, and also on the Seasons of Reading Instagram, and in our Seasons of Reading Goodreads group. Castle Macabre also has a Facebook page.


💀 Doctor Sleep Read-Along...the biggest part of the event this year! The movie comes out in November so I really wanted to read the book before then. I put up a poll in our groups and the consensus was most people wanted a read-along. And so it will be!

Discussions will be held on this blog. I will put a new post up each week on Sunday (with final discussion post up on Sunday, Oct. 20...we will end there since October 27 is the day after Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and people will probably be recuperating) and we will read along according to the schedule below.

Read-Along Schedule
  • Week One (start Sept 1): Prefatory Matters: Lockbox - Ch. 1 (pp 1 - 85)
  • Week Two (week of Sept 9): Ch. 2 - 4 (pp 87 - 145)
  • Week Three (week of Sept 16): Ch 5 - 7 (pp 147 - 221)
  • Week Four (week of Sept 23): Ch 8 - 10 (pp 223 - 286)
  • Week Five (week of Sept 30): Ch 11 - 13 (pp 287 - 364
  • Week Six (week of Oct 7): Ch 14 - 16 (pp 365 - 441)
  • Week Seven (week of Oct 14): Ch 17 - Author's Note (pp 443 - 531/end)
Leave a comment with your intention to participate. Please comment or send me a message (via the contact form) if you have any questions. 

👻 In September, we're focusing on Gothic stories (Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, and others). There's a great list on Goodreads for reference, Best Gothic Books of All Time. I'm not going to set up any read-alongs for this. I'll create a master post and you can stop by and share what you read, and your thoughts, in the comments.

👿 In October, we're focusing on horror stories. There are a couple of great lists on Goodreads for reference...Best Horror Anthologies and Horror Collections (Single Author). I'm not going to set up any read-alongs for this either. I'll create another master post and you can stop by and share what you read, and your thoughts, in the comments.


👹 We're going to have at least a couple of horror movie watch-alongs! I'm not sure which ones we will watch yet, but I'm kind of eyeing Midsommar, another subtle, but scary film by the guy who did Hereditary (we watched that one together last year and everyone enjoyed it). I saw Midsommar over the summer and loved it. I believe it comes out on DVD, etc. in September. I will mull some titles over and then create a poll so everyone can vote. Any suggestions? Leave me a comment. Since not everyone is on the same social media platforms these days, I'm going to set up a Slack group (I use it for my online book group and it's so much better than Twitter chats) for our watch-alongs. Slack is free so you don't have to worry about that. Stay tuned!


🎃 #FrightFall Readathon, October, all month long at Seasons of Reading. Sign ups for that will go up at the Seasons of Reading blog within the next couple of weeks. There is also Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon on October 26. Yay!

😈 I'm hoping to get some of my horror author friends to contribute some guest posts. If anyone else would like to contribute a post or guest review, please let me know. You can send me a message via the contact form here on the site.

I think that's it! Hope I didn't leave anything out. No official sign-up for this. Just share that you're in by leaving a comment. You can join in as little or as much as you want. Let's do this!

 photo Cat.gif

Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments:

Thanks for visiting our little corner of the horror universe. Your comments are appreciated.
Please note: Your comment will appear after site owner approval.

  1. I'm in! Bring on fall!
    ...no seriously, send fall-like weather soon...
    https://katenread.wordpress.com/2019/08/28/fall-reading-events-2019/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in https://fictionstateofmind.blogspot.com/2019/08/something-wicked-fall-starting-line-post.html?spref=tw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn begins Sept. 1 in my State of Mind.:) I adored Doctor Sleep. And where HPL is, so am I (and reading Banned Books (including Goosebumps!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be in for the movie Midsommar (hopefully) and lots of horror reading in October. I'd really like to read some of the short story collections from Shirley Jackson, especially The Lottery. Super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be reading Doctor Sleep, but I will be starting it late. I need to finish up NOS4A2 by Joe Hill first. I'm also reading a collection of Poe's stories in graphic novel format for #SomethingWickedFall

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve put The Shining DVD and Doctor Sleep on library hold to pick up shortly and will gather other seasonal reads!

    Twitter: @MaynardLara
    https://twitter.com/MaynardLara

    Instagram: lara.maynard
    https://www.instagram.com/lara.maynard/

    Goodreads: Lara Maynard
    https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/18499870-lara-maynard

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m in. Got a copy of SK’s book from the library and a hold on The Shining DVD. And posted my tbr @ https://www.instagram.com/p/B2cdNCKAJBz/?igshid=epvf5e4ohr3c

    I don’t have a blog but will be posting on socials:

    Twitter: @MaynardLara
    https://twitter.com/MaynardLara

    Instagram: lara.maynard
    https://www.instagram.com/lara.maynard/

    Goodreads: Lara Maynard
    https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/18499870-lara-maynard

    Looking forward to it! Enjoy, everyone!



    ReplyDelete
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf