Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Movie Review--Sinister


I had high expectations for this movie, especially after seeing the previews and also finding out that it was from the creators of "Insidious" and the "Paranormal Activity" films.  It did not disappoint.  I can't remember being that scared in a horror film...not since I was a kid.  Of course, it's very atmospheric and dark, and when you add to the mix a great actor like Ethan Hawke, it makes it even better.  The story really is a great one with horrifying elements that make it much more creepy than a typical gore fest would.  The supernatural element and the history that surrounds the entity who is responsible for the terrible things that happen are what make it particularly scary.  At least when the killer is a flesh and blood person, we always have a hope while we're watching that he/she can be stopped, but in this case, all hope is lost.  That feeling gives a terrible feeling in the pit of the stomach.  Let me just say that I had so much acid churning in my stomach from the stress of it, I really could have used a pack of TUMS.  This film is what all horror movies should be.  Those of us who love the genre want to feel like this every time we see one.  Sadly, that is not always the case.  If you love horror films and genuinely love to be scared, you must see this movie! If you do see it, come back and tell me what you thought, or if you've already seen it, share your thoughts as well.


Other recent scary movies I've seen and how they stack up to Sinister:


The Possession
This one definitely had some creepy moments and it was a twist on the traditional depictions of possession, but it still did not have the wow factor that Sinister had.  Worth a watch, but maybe on DVD.


The Apparition
This one also had creepy moments, but it was was below the caliber of Sinister.  The idea of not being able to get away from what's haunting you is definitely unnerving, but it could have been a lot better.  Another "wait for the dvd" movie.

Qualifies for R.I.P. VII


This post is part of....

Photobucket

3 comments:

Thanks for visiting our little corner of the horror universe. Your comments are appreciated.
Please note: Your comment will appear after site owner approval.

  1. Despite my recent horror reading frenzy, I am NOT a fan of horror movies. At all. So I'll pass on this one, thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Michelle! This one is on our list of wanna sees, but we were apprehensive due to the epic fail of the majority of alleged horror films in the scare department as of late. We will definitely move it to the top of our list now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hearing lots of good things about Sinister - well, when I say good, obviously I don't mean happy, jolly and lovely with bunny rabbits - no, scary, in fact terrifying. I don't know if I could stand to watch it at the cinema - think I'll have to wait for the DVD. Don't know if I can cope with that much fear in front of lots of people - I could very easily scream at the wrong (or right) point.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf