Saturday, October 14, 2023

I Read Horror Year-Round Reading Challenge - 2023 Third Quarter Check-In


So sorry I'm late with this check-in! With all the scary events going on, it completely slipped my mind. 

How are you doing on the challenge?

Here's my progress on the Chilling level (12 books in a year)...
All I have left are three categories and I already have planned reads for them. I'm hoping to get to them this month, but we shall see. Planned reads...
  • Fairy Tale Retelling - Gretel by Christopher Coleman
  • Written by a woman - Hummingbird by T.C. Parker
  • Debut Horror - Awake in the Night by Shauna McEleney
I hope you're enjoying your horrific reading! Share your progress in the comments (update, links to posts/reviews, etc.).

Important: I'll be working on next year's challenge soon and I want you to help me come up with the categories. If you are actively participating in this year's challenge, please post your category in the comments. Thank you! I can't wait to see what you come up with. 

Happy Horror Reading!

photo Cat.gif

5 comments:

Thanks for visiting our little corner of the horror universe. Your comments are appreciated.
Please note: Your comment will appear after site owner approval.

  1. My new category: Nature gone wild. Either plants or animals are after you!

    Completed 10 categories (17 books,) so Spooky. But am hoping to get to Chilling by the end of the year.

    Fairy Tale Retelling
    1. The Taking by Dean Koontz

    Zombies, Witches, Vampires, or Werewolves
    1. The Wolf’s Hour (Michael Gallatin #1) by Robert R. McCammon
    2. The Hunter from the Woods (Michael Gallatin #2) by Robert McCammon

    Book by BIPOC author
    1. Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

    Title with Dead, Blood, or Bone
    1. Bag of Bones by Stephen King

    Set in the past
    1. The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson
    2. Different Seasons by Stephen King (three of the four stories are set in the narrator’s past)

    Horrific cover
    1. Bethany’s Sin by Robert McCammon
    2. The Tea Party by Charles L. Grant

    Folk horror
    1. Fairy Tale by Stephen King
    2. Fairie Tale by Raymond E. Feist
    3. The Summoning God by Kathleen O’Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear

    Black, red, or white cover
    1. The Magpie Lord by K.J. Charles
    2, Black River Orchard by Chuck Wendig

    Written by a woman
    1. The Beauty by Aliya Whiteley
    2. Craven Manor by Darcy Coates


    Debut horror
    1. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You're doing great. You read one of my favorite Stephen King books...Bag of Bones. There are some on your list I need to add to mine.
      Thank you for the category. I love it!

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed "Bag of Bones." I'd bought it when it first came out, but hadn't gotten around to reading it. The challenge was just the thing for me to pull it out!

      Delete
  2. I've completed 7 and my goal was 6!
    Book by BIPOC author: Jackal by Erin E. Adams
    Title with Dead, Blood, or Bone: The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling
    Something by Poe : The Murders in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe
    Folk horror: Little Darlings by Melanie Golding
    Written by a woman: Within These Wicked Walls by Lauren Blackwood
    Black, red, or white cover: #MurderTrending by Gretchen McNeil
    Zombies, Witches, Vampires, or Werewolves: Such Sharp Teeth by Rachel Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've offered suggestions for categories in the past like: [creepy] doll, [creepy] child, [creepy] house as a character. I do like Gilda Elise's category! I'll hold off reading The Ruins in case it's a category next year. 😉

    ReplyDelete
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf