Sunday, October 1, 2023

Stephen King's If It Bleeds Read-Along - The Life of Chuck

This is a read-along so be aware of spoilers ahead.

Here we go again with one of King's talents, but it has to be said...he knows how to write about the (supposedly) coming apocalypse. I found myself feeling very uncomfortable, and also a bit scared, as I read disaster upon disaster in the first part of the story. It was all bad of course, but it was the sink hole that really got me. I am not fond of the fact that sink holes actually exist. Seriously though, what an interesting way to take the story. I was not expecting it at all. "I contain multitudes"...so this world that was slowly blinking out was a part of Chuck's mind...mind-blowing! lol

I also found it interesting about what the man Yarbrough said about the 24 hour day. That the earth's rotation was slowing down and his theory that what was happening was larger than environmental degradation. I'm no climate change denier, but it is an interesting theory. 

What a sad story too. The ghosts in this story are scary because they let you see the future, specifically when someone dies/is dying. So, it's the waiting for it to happen, as his grandfather said. There's a message here too, at least in my opinion. We are better off not knowing when it's going to happen, or the exact way it will happen. I would have to agree. 

Once again, this isn't really a scary story, in the normal sense of the word. But there are different kinds of scary, and King always knows just how to convey them. The dancing was nice too. 

Share your thoughts on this novella in the comments, or leave a link to a post. We'll be back October 16th to discuss the next novella, If It Bleeds. If you need the reading schedule, find it here.

This post is a part of...


photo Cat.gif

6 comments:

Thanks for visiting our little corner of the horror universe. Your comments are appreciated.
Please note: Your comment will appear after site owner approval.

  1. I didn't really like this story and it may be that I just didn't understand it. ""I contain multitudes"...so this world that was slowly blinking out was a part of Chuck's mind...mind-blowing!" WHAT. I definitely missed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. If you go back and read the part when he's dying in the hospital bed, and as he's dying, Marty and Felicia are in the back yard and the stars start going out. And then they can't see Mars...and finally black. That's why all the billboards and TV had the "so long Chuck" ads...because it was his world so he was leaving (dying), and so was their world. Well-played, SK. lol

      Delete
    2. Huh, yep definitely missed that! I will have to go back!

      Delete
  2. This one was interesting. Not scary. But I liked how he preyed on our fears of apocalyptic climate change and then made it into Chuck dying. Yeah, the ghosts showing you your death was a creepy twist to the story, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, we missed the discussion for If It Bleeds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I suck. I was going to post in the groups that I was going to do the last two together. Sorry! I'm having a Halloween shindig Friday and I've been trying to get ready for that, and my birthday threw a wrench in things too. lol

      Delete
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf