Sunday, September 15, 2024

Stephen King's Fairy Tale Read-along - Discussion One


What's in the shed?! I guess we will find out in the next section...maybe. Yikes. I found myself feeling quite emotional in this first section. Charlie losing his mom, his dad's alcoholism, meeting (saving) Howard Bowditch, and Radar. Knowing the impending deaths of Howard and Radar. Somehow Radar makes me particularly sad. Pets have such short lives. Anyone who has them knows just what I'm talking about. Of course, she hasn't died yet, but it's inevitable, isn't it? Maybe I'm thinking there is something magical in the story that will save her. Naive, right? 

Stephen King always meanders along with his stories, but I'm never bored. Maybe it's just because I know his writing so well. There is always a feeling of impending doom under the words, no matter how mundane the details may seem. He's great at coming-of-age stories, as we know. Also, friendships, whether it be a group of friends, or a teen and an elderly man. My mom and I were discussing the latter and she said maybe he had an elderly friend when he was a teen. I've never heard that, but as they say, write what you know. Of course, people can "know" a lot of things so I myself don't put too much stock in the phrase.

I guess this is all I can really think of to say at this point. Regarding the gold...anyone else thinking there might be a leprechaun involved? It did cross my mind. Pot (bucket) of Gold. I guess we shall see about that as well going forward.

What did you think of this first section? Let me know if I failed to touch on anything, and add your personal thoughts in the comments. 

Our next discussion will be on September 29th. If you need to refresh your memory on our reading schedule, check out this post.

If you haven't already, be sure to stop by my Friday the 13th post. I created a fun gift for my followers and friends. 


This post is part of Something Wicked Fall.


Stay spooky!

photo Cat.gif

2 comments:

Thanks for visiting our little corner of the horror universe. Your comments are appreciated.
Please note: Your comment will appear after site owner approval.

  1. I'm enjoying it so far! King really lets you savor the characters. And get too attached. Even though I knew it was coming, I was upset when Bowditch died and I will be VERY upset when Radar dies!!! 😭 Charlie has alluded to it a few times. I'm definitely ready to find out where the gold comes from and WHAT IS IN THE SHED. I feel like it's a portal to another dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really getting into King's story. It's not quite what I expected. There's an adventure but also a creepy vibe to the whole thing. I also teared up when Bowditch died. I love my curmudgeons deeply. I'm very worried about the person who killed Heinrich.
    This one wasn't on my list to read, actually, so I'm really happy this was picked. It's right up my alley. Thanks, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf