Saturday, October 19, 2024

Stephen King's Fairy Tale Read-along - Discussion Three


Now we've arrived at the horrific part of the book. Many have said this book is not really horror, but the section we just read was pretty scary in my opinion. Those Night Soldiers, and Lord High (Kellin) are pretty terrifying. Not to mention the ghastly Flight Killer (Elden). What exactly does he have hiding under that massive caftan? I'm picturing something almost like Cthulhu. Could King be venturing into Lovecraftian territory here? How about this? "Don't ever say that name! Do you want to wake what sleeps in the Dark Well? The Dark Well sounds very much like where Cthulhu came from in Lovecraft's story, or maybe it's the representation of Hell.

This prince business. What do you think? Did the world change him, or is there something more to this? I have a theory. What if Charlie's mother came from Empis? We don't know much about her. Surely if people from our world could get to their world, people could certainly get to our world from there. It may be a far-fetched theory, but is it possible that his mother could have been one of the "whole" offspring of one of the "randy" royals? 

I have to say, I'm pretty excited to find out how this ends. Also, forgot to mention how wonderful it was that Radar is young and whole again. Maybe she will save the day, or at least help. 

Wanted to also mention that I've learned that this book is getting a 10 episode series adaptation from A24. If they do it right, it should be awesome. I was impressed with the adaptation of The Outsider (one of my favorite King books). You can read the article here.

What did you think of this section? Let me know if I failed to touch on anything, and add your personal thoughts in the comments.

Our final discussion will be on October 31st. I moved the date because I've been so behind. I apologize. October, November, and December are always so busy for me. I'm sure many can relate. If you need to refresh your memory on our reading schedule, check out this post.

This post is part of Something Wicked Fall.




photo Cat.gif




2 comments:

Thanks for visiting our little corner of the horror universe. Your comments are appreciated.
Please note: Your comment will appear after site owner approval.

  1. I actually ended up finishing the book it was so good. I couldn't wait. But as I was reading this section I had all the vibes of Cthulu and also was wondering if Charlie's mother came from Empis.
    I'm excited to hear this is getting a series adaptation!
    I think Charlie changed because everyone needed a physical manifestation to believe he was the one. Both Charlie and his fellow inmates.
    Thanks for the read a long! Looking forward to talking about the ending soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear my theories are corroborated. :) Yes, I agree about the physical manifestation. I'm excited to find out how this ends up. Glad you've enjoyed the read-along.

      Delete
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf