Monday, January 2, 2023

2022 I Read Horror Year-Round Reading Challenge - Wrap-up


Year two of I Read Horror is done and dusted. How did you do? Once again, I don't think I quite completed the Chilling level (which is 12 books in a year), but let me list the categories below and see how I stacked up...
  • Book by a BIPOC (female) - Certain Dark Things, Silvia Moreno-Garcia
  • Book by a BIPOC (male) - The Only Good Indians, Stephen Graham Jones
  • Folk Horror - Winterset Hollow, Jonathan Edward Durham
  • A Gothic horror classic (published 50 or more years ago, published no later than 1972) - The Marble Faun, Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • A modern Gothic tale (published within 50 years ago, published 1973 or later) - Fireside Gothic, Andrew Taylor
  • Purple, orange, or green on the cover - The Devil in Silver, Victor LaValle
  • Serial killer from the past - fiction or non-fiction (before 20th century) Examples: Jack the Ripper, H.H. Holmes, Burke and Hare (I started The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, but have not finished yet.)
  • Short story collection/Anthology
  • Slasher
  • Vampires - Impact Winter, Travis Beacham
  • Werewolves
  • Witches - In the House in the Dark of the Woods, Laird Hunt
So, I didn't do too badly. Managed to finish 9 out of 12. 

How about you? Share your wrap-up in the comments, or link to a wrap-up post on your blog (or social media, shelf on Goodreads, etc.).

In case you missed it, sign up for I Read Horror YR 2023 is open. Here's the link to the post.
I hope you will join me again!


photo Cat.gif

Follow on Bloglovin

Get new posts by email:

4 comments:

Thanks for visiting our little corner of the horror universe. Your comments are appreciated.
Please note: Your comment will appear after site owner approval.

  1. I didn't do as well as I did the previous year, but I'm hoping this year will be better. I did make it to "Spooky" though. :-)

    Folk Horror
    1. The Man in the Moss by Phil Rickman
    2. The Cold Calling by Phi Rickman
    3. The Visitant by Kathleen O'Neal Gear, W. Michael Gear

    A Gothic horror classic (published 50 or more years ago, published no later than 1972)
    1. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
    2. The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen

    A modern Gothic tale (published within 50 years ago, published 1973 or later)
    1. Wardenclyffe by F. Paul Wilson

    Purple, orange, or green on the cover
    1. The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig
    2. Gwendy’s Final Task (The Button Box #3) by Stephen King, Richard Chizmar

    Short story collection/Anthology
    1. Goblin by Josh Malerman

    Vampires
    1. Doctor Sleep by Stephen King
    2. ‘Salem’s Lot by Stephen King

    Witches
    1. Nightmare Country by Marlys Millhiser

    Levels:
    Spooky: Read 6 books from 6 categories

    ReplyDelete
  2. I managed 6 categories! I'm surprised I read no slasher, werewolves, vampires, or witches! Well, I read witches and vampires but in romance novels! 🀣 Onto this year's! I didn't even try last year so maybe I will actually try this year. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read:
    Book by a BIPOC (female): White Smoke by Tiffany D. Jackson
    Book by a BIPOC (male): Ring by Kōji Suzuki
    Folk Horror: Follow Me to Ground by Sue Rainsford
    A modern Gothic tale: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
    Purple, orange, or green on the cover: House Of Mirrors by Ben Cheetham
    Short story collection/Anthology: The Drift by C.J. Tudor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops the short story collection was A Sliver of Darkness by C.J. Tudor!

      Delete
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf