Thursday, October 6, 2016

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children #Read-Along - Final discussion and thoughts on the film #MissPeregrines


First, let me apologize for the delay in posting this. I had thought to finish the book before seeing the film (I was at the final chapters), but it didn't quite work out that way. Also, my sons are on Fall break so I've been busy getting things done around here (that requires their brute strength. lol) and spending time with them.

So, what a magical book, right? I really enjoyed this final part of the book where we finally learn the truth of Jacob's gift...he can see the Hollows! Not sure I would want that gift though. Yuck.

This book is unique because of the photographs. I really liked that aspect because it gives us a point of reference to what some of the children looked like, and it added to the vintage Gothic feel of the book. I think the photographs also evoked a World War II feel.

I liked the incorporation of the Nazis at the end. Makes sense that they would be involved with the nefarious doings of the Wight. This aspect, to me, gives the book a slant of morality. The correlation between the pursuit and persecution of the peculiar children with the pursuit and persecution of the Jewish people by the Nazis...clever.

Which brings me to the film. There is no part of the above in the film. Not sure why. Maybe because of the current state of things with race relations, etc. in our country and the world. Actually, the movie really is quite different from the book. Tim Burton changed a lot and I found myself wondering if that was truly necessary. Don't get me wrong...the film is pretty good...but the book is better. Who didn't know I would say that? He even flip flopped characters, giving Emma Olive's power of floating and Olive had the power of fire from her hands. Why?


Again, the film was enjoyable enough and definitely worth seeing for the visual elements alone. Also, Asa Butterfield was great as Jacob and Ella Purnell was ethereal as Emma. Of course, Eva Green was fantastic, as she is in pretty much everything she's in.

Definitely see it if you enjoyed the book, keeping in mind that the book is (almost) always better.

Thanks to everyone who read along with me.

 photo Cat.gif

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

Thanks for visiting our little corner of the horror universe. Your comments are appreciated.
Please note: Your comment will appear after site owner approval.

  1. I am almost finished with the book. Is the boy "Enoch" in the movie? Reading about him gave me the chills. Can't wait to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read all three books and saw the movie this past Sunday. It seems to me that the movie is sort of a mash up of all three books. There are revelations made in the last book that are discussed in the movie, and a quest in the second book that happens in the movie as well. So - I'm wondering if the movie will be "it" - no sequels?
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. My review
    Come along with a Jacob as he explores the island that
    his grandfather told him about in scary stories.
    Description was deftly woven into the story. You felt
    as is you were there on the island with Jacob. It was
    an experience going through the loop and meeting the
    peculiar children after seeing their photographs. It was
    neat to be able to meet Miss Peregrine and see the children's
    display their peculiar traits.
    The characters were intriguing, vivid and colorfully presented.
    Loved the imagery as it stimulated your imagination.
    Great read.

    Thank you, Michelle.
    Carol Smith
    penelope223@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf