Friday, September 9, 2016

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - #GothicSept Read-Along Discussion One #MissPeregrines


Welcome to the first discussion! So, what did you think of our first section, through the end of Chapter 4? I'll share my thoughts and then you can join in on the discussion in the comments, or leave the link to your blog post.

There is a handy reading guide with discussion questions here at LitLovers. You can refer to some of the questions to help with discussion points, if you like. I may use a few of them myself.

DISCUSSION

Favorite quote in the first section:

"I told him I had another statement to make and then held up my middle finger and walked out."

I love how Jacob (Jake) doesn't quite fit in and has such a mind of his own. I feel like this is what his grandfather saw in him, and why he felt he was the one to share his stories and secrets with. As Jacob "grew out" of his grandfather's stories, I still think deep down that he truly believed. Otherwise, how could he have so easily suspended disbelief when he encountered his fatally wounded grandfather and the creature responsible. Many would have just chalked it up to hallucination, or a stress response...which is exactly what the adults classified his behavior and testimony of events to be.

Cairnholm Island seems a magical place in and of itself, not withstanding the "peculiar" or "magical" children who are purported to have lived there. It's like stepping back in time with the kerosene lamps after 10pm and the one telephone on the island. I think I would like to visit a place like that. Talk about being "unplugged."

So, Jake is determined to go back to the old house and investigate further. I'm looking forward to reading the next section to find out what's coming. So far, I am really enjoying the book. I can't believe I waited this long to read it!

Final note: I'm loving the photographs scattered throughout. I think they really add to the atmosphere of the novel. What do you think?

 photo Cat.gif

Follow on Bloglovin

14 comments:

Thanks for visiting our little corner of the horror universe. Your comments are appreciated.
Please note: Your comment will appear after site owner approval.

  1. I would to visit love Cairnholm Island. This
    book is fascinating to me.I think the pictures
    add a better understanding of the people
    grandfather described. I would have loved
    to meet grandfather.
    Looking forward to reading what comes next.
    Carol Smith
    penelope223@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cairnholm Island seems like an intriguing place that I would love to explore. I would totally take photos of everything given the history.
    I find the photos just as intriguing and love how they are woven into the story itself. I want to know who these kids were. Were they as special as grandfather made them to appear? I am not sure Jake "grew out" of grandfather's stories as he claims he did, otherwise I do not think he would be on the island to begin with.
    I am curious to find out about the letters that grandfather had received from so long ago. They are a key no doubt to the entire story.
    Glad to read on now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That what I was saying. Although he said he had grown out of it, I think that was him covering. Deep down, he still wants to know the truth...always did.

      I know you said that you have already finished. I hope you will still join the rest of the discussions.

      Delete
  3. Cairnholm Island sounds like it'd be a delightful place to visit. Jake is a wonderful character and at some parts he made me laugh (even though the situations weren't that funny). The photographs were a great idea!! I do think they add to the atmosphere as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jake is a great character. I'm looking forward to seeing how he is portrayed in the film.

      Delete
  4. Not since I was a child, reading comic books, have I ever read a book with photographs and graphics such as this. Jacob is an interesting character. He is different than most teenagers, and his grandfather definitely saw this. He knew Jacob to be intelligent, sensitive, and fearless. This was so much more than even Jacob's father saw in him. Looking forward to see where this story goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photographs/graphics definitely add to the story. And yes, Jacob's grandfather really knew that Jacob had the potential to fulfill whatever prophecy was meant for him.

      Delete
  5. It's been awhile since I read the story. But I remember loving the pictures dispersed throughout the book. And I loved wondering about Jake. Who is he and why is he so special and how does all that relate to his grandfather. Plus him meeting all the peculiars was so fascinating. I'm going to try to catch up and hopefully have some more meaningful things to say soon! I've been wanting to reread it before I see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're going to reread and join us. I can definitely see this book being one to reread.

      Delete
  6. I can't believe I held out reading this for so long either! I am loving it. I heard from a few people who read this that it, "starts slow but stay with it". I'm not sure we are reading the same book. Haha. I am enjoying the opening. I am invested in Jake already. What an amazing guy! I was fascinated by his grandfather too. Now that Jake is going to the old house I am anxious to see what happens next!
    I love the photos. They add so much to the story. Usually I prefer the pictures in my mind but these are awesome. They do make me afraid for the movie though. I am more often than not disappointed by the movies. It will be interesting to see how it comes out.
    I really love reading this with you all, (even though I got started a bit late. Story of my life. Haha.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we must be reading a different book. I didn't find it slow at all.

      No worries on being behind. I'm behind too...with this week's discussion! Will have it up by tomorrow. :)

      Thanks for joining us!

      Delete
  7. I hope everyone is subscribed to the comments. I'm a bit behind this week so will have discussion 2 posted by tomorrow (Saturday). Please accept my apologies.

    ReplyDelete
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf